Fancy some fell or off road running?
Summary: The day will involve a mixture of theory and practical sessions guiding you on the best techniques, kit and exercises for off-road running. No matter what ability you are we can cater for you. COME PREPARED FOR ALL WEATHER!!
The next event for the Cheshire Network is an introduction to fell and off-road running. The aim is to explain the basics to those who have not tried it before and provide some coaching for those who have. Or use it to learn more about descending on steep hills. …and how do I use that compass which I carry in case of emergencies in my bum bag? Tony Hulme from Running Bear will be there with kit and practical advice. He coaches the fell runners at Wilmslow AC and Cheshire Hill Runners.
It will last from 10am until 3:30pm and then you get a fish and chip lunch.
Meet at the Tegg’s Nose visitors centre near Macclesfield at 9:30 and start the day at 10am. The post code of the centre is SK11 OAP.
10am – Introduction to Off Road Running – led by Phil Barnes for Macclesfield and supported by Tony Hulme.
* Explain the mysteries of fell shoes, bumbags, compasses, the right waterproofs
* Runners to bring their favourite kit so we can see different preferences. For example which fell shoe best works for you? What are the benefits of different shoes?
* Explanation of the essential kit on bad weather days.
11:30am – Outdoor Practical sessions – each 30mins
* Navigation Practical – teams of two navigate to a series of pre-arranged spots.
* Downhill Running – a graded session dependant on ability
* Rough Terrain Running Tips and practice – Tussocks, Heather etc
13.00 – Group run around Tegg’s Nose Country Park – session about 1 hour, split into ability groups and led by pre-arranged leaders from Macclesfield Harriers (our local host Club) – routes perhaps between 4m and 8m
14.00 approx – Return to Macclesfield Sports Centre for Shower.
15:00 approx – Fish and Chip Lunch provided by Cheshire Network.
15:15 approx – Closing Talk / Presentation – anecdotes /experience/Q&A / Feedback