As you can imagine, we’re doing this differently for 2022. The race is being run but slightly lower key:
- Covid – we need to keep you safe
- New venue – our fantastic new club house on Callender Way is the new race HQ. This is the first time we’ve used this venue (it’s great, really great) but we have lost a large number of parking spaces. We have plans to get back to previous entry numbers, but because of point 1, it only seems sensible to feel our way this time.
Please note the cancellation policy on the Nifty site.
Race day is Sunday 16 January 2022, start time 10:30am. Help make it a special one!
- Read the race entry details page for race rules and conditions — do this before entering.
- Decide if you want a souvenir race running top. We are again running a competition with local schools for the artwork design. Last year’s was a cracker, so high hopes for another high standard of entry!
- Have a look at the route map here.
- When you’ve done this, ENTER HERE on the Nifty Entries site (and check the cancellation policy).
- Doing this you confirm you’ve read the race entry details page and agree to the conditions.
- Any questions, use this email address (preferred). But please try and answer your own question if you can — many queries are routine and you might get a quicker answer by reading the website. Not that we don’t want to help you understand! Thank you for supporting this race and enjoy your run! Have you thought about joining our club?
Why four villages?
We are thrilled to announce that Essar Four Villages Half Marathon has won 1st place in the Half Marathons North category of the Challenge Awards presented by Runners World and powered by Let’s Do This. The awards aims to recognise the best challenge events, organisation, charities, communities and individuals over the 2018/19 season. For more information see the Let’s Do This press winners announcement.
You said so – that’s why 🙂
Please help us make this the greenest half marathon around! We love running and racing and meeting up with like-minded folk but also recognise we’re contributing in our own small way to congestion and emissions. That’s why we’re teaming up with a car sharing website developed by a runner to save you money and reduce the carbon footprint. Please EVERYONE try out the site (even if you don’t expect to car share). It only takes a minute and is completely free to use. As well as saving petrol money, it will ease the parking headaches for us at the race. Nick the site owner is keen to hear your feedback.
Maps and resources
2022 start area – we have a new venue! [JPG, 123KB]
www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/Cheshire/Frodsham/ — local accommodation search
Race map and parking
Parking information on race parking in your race pack.
- Travelling from the east please park at Helsby High School (WA6 0HY) – junction 12 M56, through Frodsham on A56. Coaches to transport you to the start and back to the high school after the race.
- From the west and Wirral on M56 please park at Essar Induction centre (junction 14 M56, first left onto A5117 towards Elton, turn right at second set of traffic lights into Pool Lane, Induction Centre car park is on the left). Coaches to transport you to the start and back to the car park after the race. Toilets and a hot drinks machine at the Induction centre car park.
- Please don’t park on residential streets around Helsby, especially on The Rock. There will be a team of parking marshals on the streets who will be able to direct you if you are unsure where to park. Look out for the yellow marshal bibs!
There’s an updated race route map, including the new variations to the course for 2022 (new start, mile 1, 8, 10). If you know the old course and want to recce the change, the major change is Well Lane around mile 8.
Medals and water will be handed out in the funnel area by our volunteers. The funnel will take runners through the yard and on to the field, where you can meet family and friends and visit the attractions the school is putting on. The field is the main area where runners can meet your friends and family after the race. There will be food and hot/cold drinks on the school field – please support our friends from the school selling teas, cakes, bacon butties, etc. Spectators will be able to walk through the school yard to see the finish on Denbigh Close, but access to the Close is through a narrow gate so please be patient when busy. Please follow marshall guidance in the finish area and stay off the lawns of our patient neighbours on the finish street!
Race running tops
This year we’re running a competition with the local schools we pass on the race route and those nearby, to design the artwork for the T-shirts. We’re trying to do our bit to engage the next generation of runners and hope you’ll support this. T-shirts are collected on race day from race HQ. Come early to avoid the queue and get ready for your race! If you didn’t pre-order, we’ll also have stock for sale on race day.
Please be careful adding your email to your entry — it is our primary way of contacting you with any late-breaking news. We will not pass your address on without permission. You’ll receive race information, your number and chip in the post early in the New Year. We’ll also send details on your technical running top, if you ordered one.
Certified accurate course
Race certified and licensed. Adjusted and remeasured for 2022.
Huge thanks to our regular headline sponsor of Essar UK and Asics, another long-term supporter. We’re also grateful to the team at Running Bear, friends of the race for many years, together with Mick Hall Photos, and Addhire for their most excellent van loan. Without their help this race either wouldn’t happen or would cost you a lot more!
As well as giving you a great race, we also support a number of local charities from the money raised. Please take a look to the groups that benefit from your efforts. We’d like to thank in advance all the volunteers, helpers, marshals, water-carriers, transport people, commercial partners, our photographer, the good folk of Helsby and surrounding villages, and everyone else who makes this special event possible.